Hammered out by Brooklyn's Helca Iron Works and designated a New York City Landmark in 1981, this clock has stood at Fifth Avenue and 23rd Street since 1909.
The General Electric logo dates from 1900, this clock from 1931, the year the G.E. Building went up at 570 Lexington Avenue.
A four-sided bank clock at First Avenue and East 79th Street.
The almost-au natural Atlas shouldering Tiffany's clock appears to be bronze but is only painted to look so. Dating from 1853, the nine-foot-tall work is by Henry Frederick Metzler, carver of ship figureheads, and it first decorated Tiffany's at 550 Broadway and then the firm's ever-more uptown locations, coming to this perch at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street in 1940.
At 1200 Broadway, this clock accents the three-story mansard of Gilsey House, completed in 1872 and designed by Stephen Decatur Hatch.
Bees symbolize industry, productivity and wisdom--apt whyfors those insects bee-deck this bank clock at Eighth Avenue and 14th Street.
The bronze surround of this mechanized timemarker at 470 Park Avenue South displays silkworms and mulberry leaves, the choice repast of those invertebrates--references to the building's original owner, a silk-looming concern. On the strike of each hour, Merlin raises his wand to lightly rap the blacksmith who is pounding away on King Arthur's sword, and the Lady of the Lake arises from the case. Known as the Silk Clock, the work was manufactured in 1926 by Seth Thomas.
1322 Third Avenue.
Completed in 1857 and designed by John P. Gaynor, the E. V. Haughwout & Co. Store at 488 Broadway was home to the first Otis elevator that was both practical and safe.
This clock on Madison Avenue between 53rd and 54th Streets dates from 1983.
An exaggerated pocket watch, this 17-foot-tall clock at 1501 Third Avenue dates from 1898, and in 1945 played a part in the The Lost Weekend, providing support for a boozed-up Ray Milland to steady himself.
The 13th clock in this post--a baker's dozen--is that of the Sherry Netherland, standing here at 781 Fifth Avenue since 1927.